With our beautiful alpine environment, and Mt Aspiring National Park so close by, Wānaka Airport is a natural attraction for visiting aviators. Wānaka Airport is a Queenstown Lakes District Council-owned facility which is contracted to Queenstown Airport Corporation to manage. Historically, it's been most well known for the Warbirds Over Wānaka International Air Show & the Warbirds and Wheels visitor attraction but there are more than 11 businesses with around 250 people working in and around the airport on day-to-day operations.
These operations include:
- Flightseeing to Milford and Mount Cook and surrounding areas
- Scheduled domestic return service to/ from Christchurch with Sounds Air
- A large and growing number of helicopters offering training and charter
- Pilot training on Cessna and various aircraft types
- Tandem skydiving flights and parachuting using a custom-designed turbine aircraft
- Private sport and recreation and general aviation
- Agricultural companies with topdressing operations based out of Wānaka Airport
- Charter operations, particularly ski tours
- Regular military visits
- Adventure flying in military aircraft
Wānaka Airport and the wider community
Wānaka Airport contributes significantly to the local and regional economies. Queenstown Airport is approximately an hours' drive away offering direct trans-Tasman and daily domestic flights.
Wānaka Airport is owned by Queenstown Lakes District Council (QLDC). Queenstown Airport Corporation (QAC) manages Wānaka Airport’s day-to-day operations on behalf of QLDC under a management services agreement.